1. LSU - Simply overpowering everyone that takes the field with them. Can they make Alabama look just as inferior? We’ll see in two weeks.
2. Alabama - They overcame a slow start against a rival and has set up a mid-season championship caliber showdown with LSU.
3. Oklahoma State - With their in state rival losing, the Cowboys have a big chance to take over the Big 12 and make this a year to remember in Stillwater.
4. Clemson - The Tigers are the clear cut favorite in the ACC and their offense seems too potent to stop. It’s a pick your poison scenario, given that they can beat you on the ground or in the air.
5. Boise State - The Broncos continue to win but will need a lot more weekends like the one we just had if they have hopes of making it to the title game.
6. Stanford - Big win against a quality opponent in Washington, The Cardinal faces two remaining tests: USC and Oregon. Luck can bolster his Heisman resume and his Stanford legacy by winning both games in search for a BCS opportunity.
7. Oregon - This team doesn’t have breaks. Their offense keeps reeling off wins, but seriously let down their defense by allowing a safety and ruining the shutout.
8. Arkansas - Don’t really know what to think of this team yet. Was impressed with their comeback against Mississippi but was also unimpressed by their early deficit against a so-so team.
9. Michigan State - Wow. Lucky or not, the Spartans made a huge statement by derailing the Russel Wilson train on a Hail Mary to upset the Badgers. Could see a possibly rematch in Indy at the end of the year.
10. Kansas State - Who saw the Wildcats being undefeated at 7-0? Not to mention the Texas Tech win looks real, real nice right about now.
16. Texas A&M
17. Virginia Tech
18. Penn State
19. Texas Tech
20. Arizona State
22. South Carolina
Teams 11-19: I know USC can’t play in a bowl game, but I still think they’re a serious threat to play spoiler in the Pac-12. Texas Tech climbs while Wisconsin and Oklahoma joins ‘the rest of the teams’ after being upset this past weekend. Penn State made some serious strides, while potentially solving the QB mystery, and look to compete for the Big Ten title this season behind a great defense.
Teams 20-25: I still can’t rank South Carolina high because of the questions that remain and because of overall sub-par play on offense. Houston remains unbeaten while Cincinnati joins the top 25 for the first time this season.
NFL Top 5
1. Green Bay Packers
2. New England Patriots
3. San Francisco 49ers
4. New Orleans Saints
5. New York Giants